16 February, 2020

Quora Answer: How Do You Memorise a Long Speech?

The following is my answer to a Quora question: “How do you memorise a long speech?

I do not memorise long speeches.  In fact, I never memorise any speech, and I have given a lot of them over two decades.  The problem with memorising a speech is that in the event you lose your concentration or train of thought, you might be left searching for words at the wrong time.  What I do is note down what I want to say, the structure of the speech, a few quotes I want to cite, and some points I want to highlight.  When it comes to any point, I never give more than three examples. I like to use rhetorical devices such as metaphors and alliteration to flesh out the story, and I make it a habit to inject some dry wit. 

Nobody starts out giving long speeches.  You begin by knowing how to speak well for a minute or so, then five minutes of so, then twenty minutes or so.  If a speech is meant to stretch beyond that, it helps to have visual cues such as PowerPoint slides, or you might find yourself meandering off topic, and losing the audience.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to share our thoughts. Once approved, your comments will be poster.