I delivered this speech as
Division Director-Elect at the Toastmasters District 80, Division G, Achievers
Day on 6th June 2020.
The
Speech
I thank the
organisers. They are the movers and
shakers of the Division. They made this
event happen.
From the
current Division Council, I commend two people for stepping up. Murugappan Dhanabal moves from Area Director,
G2, to Assistant Division Director, Programme Quality, G. Tejasvene Ramesh moves from Division Manager,
Administration, to Area Director, Area G2.
Murugappan
has proven himself. He organised three
Division contests and chaired the Division contest. As our incoming Assistant Division Director,
Programme Quality, he will keep teaching us what he has learned. I see him as a future leader at District level,
not only at Division. He is quiet,
unassuming, and brutally efficient.
Tejasvene is
more than our Division Manager, Administration.
She is also the pillar of her club, TLCS Bilingual Toastmasters Club. She is so ubiquitous that visiting
Toastmasters assumed she was the Vice-President, Education. She is, for the incoming term. She also replaces Murugappan as Area
Director, G2. Area G2 is fortunate.
Eric Tan, DTM,
is the foundation of AIA Toastmasters, the pillar of Division G, and the anchor
of the District. He is the paragon
Toastmaster, the epitome of effective communication, and the servant leader of
servant leaders. He should be the next
District Director. I am glad to have him
as our Trainer, Executive Development, to deliver leadership development.
Wekie Tay, DTM,
has been with the Division since its inception.
He is the thread that binds us all, from the first Division Director to
the present. He has agreed to continue
as our Division Advisor. We hope to
learn from his experience.
We have
thrived despite the complications of the last few months. Now we look to the next term and its
challenges. We are on the cusp of a
post-pandemic world. The incoming
Division Council has done much behind the scenes. We met on 22nd May. We have our dates. Club Officer Training I is on 11th
July. Club Officer Training II is on 9th January
2021. Achievers Day is on 12th
June 2021.
Even as we
speak, the final preparations for COT are under way. We began training our Area Directors in May,
and they are ready. The day after my
confirmation as Division Director-Elect, I issued the Division roadmap and
strategic plan. The Division Council was
confirmed that week, with officer release forms included. We have a proposed training programme, a
mentorship programme, workshops, and even a club charter programme. We are ready for war. The countdown starts on 1st July. The real work begins then.
I look
forward to your support. I look forward
to your goodwill. I look forward to
continuing this journey with every one of you.
We will bring this Division to the next level and set an example for the
District. We will end the term with our
heads held high, knowing we took on a challenge and left a legacy. I want it to be our collective victory.
Commentary
The
World Health Organisation declared COVID-19 a pandemic on 11th March
2020. It ended the global emergency on 5th
May 2023. Toastmasters paid the
bill. The March 2022 CEO report puts the
pandemic-driven membership decline at 20 per cent and calls it a drop to
2012-2013 levels. Membership was 314,761
on 30th September 2021 and 265,261 on 31st March
2025. That is a further fall of 15.7 per
cent. Paid clubs stood at 13,833 in June
2025. New clubs outpaced suspensions
that year for the first time since 2020-2021.
Recovery took five years, and it is still partial.
I declared the Division ready
for war. The evidence was a roadmap, a
strategic plan, a confirmed Council, training, mentorship, workshops, and a
charter programme. That list was real
work. It deserved credit then, and it
deserves it now.
Dwight David Eisenhower, then
President of the United States, told a defence conference in November 1957 that
plans are worthless, but planning is everything. He had commanded the Allied invasion of
Europe. He knew what a roadmap was worth
the moment the enemy arrived. My enemy
that year had no regard for a roadmap.
The Division’s ability to rewrite the plan mattered more than the
plan. That is the test I would apply to
any Division Director, myself included.
I closed by promising a
legacy. A legacy is measured by who runs
the place after you leave. George
Washington declined a third term as President and handed over power in 1797. That precedent held until Franklin Delano
Roosevelt broke it in 1940. Developing
successors was the right instinct. A
leader who builds the next leader has left something behind.
Terence
Nunis, DTM | Division Advisor, District 80 Division M | Club Advisor,
AIA Toastmasters | Past President & Founder, Awesome Toastmasters

No comments:
Post a Comment
Thank you for taking the time to share our thoughts. Once approved, your comments will be poster.