07 January, 2021

Funny Thing ...

I looked at your photos.  You do not look beautiful anymore.

I recalled the times we had.  They are not golden anymore.

I looked for you in my heart. There was nothing there.

Just vague feelings I knew you once and how I cared.

 

I do not mention you in my prayers or think your name.

As if I have forgotten what we shared; like you never came.

I do not see forever in your eyes.  There’s no forever after.

Your voice does not make me smile.  Or words elicit laughter.

 

There was a time I held you close and kissed your tears away.

There was a time I would sell my soul just to make you stay.

And then I looked into your eyes.  I saw you and only you.

There was no “me”.  There was no “us”.  That’s when I knew.

 

Funny thing.  You do not look so beautiful anymore.

Your voice, your eyes, your smile; do not allure me anymore.

Maybe you will come back and be that promise.  I will not hold my breath.

Maybe you will see me the way I once saw you.  But I will not hold my breath.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to share our thoughts. Once approved, your comments will be poster.