15 April, 2021

The Problem with Synonyms

In the context of rhetoric, a synonym is a word or phrase that means exactly or nearly the same as another word or phrase in the same language.  Where it becomes interesting is the use of synonyms in phrases or idioms, where because of the context of words, the meaning conveyed is changed.  Here are some examples.

If I ask you to drop by my cottage in the forest, it sounds like a cozy invitation, but if I tell you to come to my cabin in the woods, it sounds like the beginning of a horror story. 

When we forget to keypad lock our phone in the back pocket, we accidentally butt dial, but a booty call is definitely deliberate. 

Saying, “Forgive me, Father, for I have sinned”, starts confession.  Saying, “Sorry, Daddy, I have been naughty”, is the reason for that confession.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to share our thoughts. Once approved, your comments will be poster.