24 September, 2026

Appointment Booster 3rd Anniversary: My Own Panel Answers on PIL (III)

I sat on the panel at AIA’s Appointment Booster 3rd Anniversary on 9th September 2026.  These are my own positions, expanded with anonymised examples drawn from my own client proposals.  The product in question was AIA Platinum Indexed Legacy (III), AIA Singapore’s universal life offering.

1.  What Made You Start?

The opportunity was never hidden.  It was sitting in plain sight; in every client conversation I was already having about tax exposure and cross-border wealth.  China’s Announcement No. 21 imposed a 20 per cent tax on offshore trusts from 24th July 2026, with a 22nd October deadline forcing families to declare or restructure.  The Gulf war unsettled Dubai as a haven.  Malaysia, Indonesia, and Thailand each carry their own political and currency uncertainty.  None of this is abstract.  It is what my clients were already telling me kept them awake.

One case in point: a senior technology executive, based in Singapore, held equity compensation, concentrated investment positions, and a philanthropic intent, but no structure connecting the three.  I built a multi-instrument stack around his position, combining an indexed universal life policy with investment-linked products and a self-funding philanthropic loop using Institution of a Public Character tax deductions under Section 37(3)(b).  PIL (III) was never a single product pitch.  It was an architecture problem, and once I started seeing client situations as architecture rather than product fit, the opportunity stopped being niche.

2.  Customer Objection Challenge: “I already have a lot of insurance.  Why do I need to look at this?”

I never open by arguing the client needs more insurance.  I open by asking what the insurance he already holds is for.  Protection covers loss of income.  Accumulation builds capital over time.  Legacy planning answers a different question entirely: how does the wealth already built get transferred, on what timeline, to whom, and under what tax exposure?

I built an objection-handling framework specifically for this moment: Acknowledge, reframe, validate.  Acknowledge the existing coverage, rather than dismissing it.  Reframe the conversation from “more insurance” to “does this achieve your stated legacy goal?”  Validate the gap once it surfaces, using the client’s own words rather than mine.  In one UHNWI proposal built around CRS 2.0 exposure, I used the AIG 2008 collapse as a case study, illustrating how concentrated institutional exposure, however well-insured on paper, can still leave a legacy plan structurally exposed if the underlying wrapper was never designed for cross-border succession in the first place.  Most clients holding a large book of protection products have never had that specific conversation.  I am not selling more insurance.  I am identifying whether what he already owns actually achieves what he says he wants for his family.

3.  Consultant Objection: “I don’t have HNW clients.  PIL (III) isn’t for my market.”

A legacy need does not require ultra-high-net-worth status.  It requires a client with any asset – a business, a property, a concentrated investment position – that he wants to pass on in a structured way rather than a single lump sum.  My own UHNWI materials, built around a Jumbo IUL structure, started life as a proposal for a single client.  I did not wait for a full book of accredited investors before building it.  I built the framework once, for one suitable case, and every subsequent proposal drew on that same glossary, objection framework, and case study library, refined rather than rebuilt from scratch each time.

4.  Practical Tip for Consultants: What to Prepare Before Your First PIL Presentation?

Understand the client before you understand the product further.  For the technology executive case, preparation meant mapping his equity compensation structure, his existing insurance stack, and his stated philanthropic intent, before a single slide on AIA Platinum Indexed Legacy (III) or AIA Pro Achiever 3.0 was ever shown.  The product mechanics matter, and a consultant should know them cold, but the opening conversation is never about the product.

It is about two or three precise questions: what happens to this asset when you are no longer here to manage it, who receives it, and on what timeline.  Prepare those questions, identify one suitable client to ask them, and do not wait until you feel completely ready.  Readiness is a feeling.  A scheduled conversation is a fact, and the fact moves the case forward considerably faster than the feeling ever will.

5.  Final Short Question: “If you haven’t started selling PIL (III) yet, just ______.”

Ask one client the legacy question.  Not the pitch.  The question.  Everything else, the framework, the case studies, the product stack, follows from there.


Terence Nunis | Executive Chairman, Equinox Zenith | Author, The 1% Playbook: The Billionaire Cheat Code




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to share our thoughts. Once approved, your comments will be poster.