19 June, 2021

Quora Answer: Which Books Should I Read to Learn How to Make Money?

The following is my answer to a Quora question: “I am in my 20s.  Which books should I read, to learn how to make money, and, overall, become a “winner” in the hierarchy? 

I read a lot of books.  I am also a financial consultant, with more than a decade’s worth of experience.  This allows me to avail myself to resources, and training within the system.  None of that taught me how money works, and how to be a “winner” in the hierarchy. 

Everything I truly learned about finance, how economic and monetary policy is formulated, why things are really done, is because of who I know, my network of contacts, and clients.  This is where my true education began.  It is my high net worth clients who taught me how financial instruments actually work, how bankers actually think, and how money works differently for the lay man, and for the wealthy. 

Therefore, if you are truly interested in being a “winner” in the hierarchy, choose your friends carefully.  You should work on building your network, and your reputation, and learn to be useful to people who are at the top of the hierarchy.  It is important to learn how to fake success, and be seen as one of them, until doors open, and you are truly one of them.  And once you have arrived, be discreet about your success, because powerful and wealthy people like to work with discreet professionals. 

When it comes to having high net worth clients, you must understand that the wealthy have no reason to deal with you.  No matter how brilliant you are, there are a million people who have just the right combination of brilliance, competency, and discretion.  You are not special.  As such, find people before they become successful, and build a good name with them.  Or, get involved in social organisations where the wealthy pretend to give back to society, and build a reputation of ruthlessness, competence, and discretion.  Once you have one such client, the rest will come, because successful people like to work with successful people. 

Real education in the world is not found in books.  Book knowledge, classes, and workshops can give you a foundation of knowledge, but it is networking, and the ability to articulate a position, and communicate effectively, in speech, and in writing, that opens doors.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to share our thoughts. Once approved, your comments will be poster.